Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A new venture from shore

This isn't about anything really all that technical, but it is about boats. I have owned only a handful (as in one hand) of boats, all of them small, none of them powered. To date this includes an aluminum canoe (which I traded my rototiller for and subsequently lost in a divorce), one sailboard (yes, that is a boat), one O'day Widgeon 12' sailboat, and three kayaks.

I traded the O'Day for one of the kayaks (a really nice two-person) but recently have come up wanting to get under sail again. So now I am building or rather completing a Bolger Brick. It is a very simple craft, a box that is 4' x 8' with a square front and stern and the sail offset to the side. A really quirky little boat.

The boat hull was mostly completed by someone else who I found on Craig's list. Now I am in the process of fiberglassing the hull and then have to build the rudder and box along with the side board. The fiberglassing has brought back nasty memories of helping my dad lay supporting beams inder the front deck of a 14' overpowered runnabout. Nasty because al lthis took place outside in our carport in Scottsdale Arizona... hot and nasty. He ran a vacuum cleaner to blow some air under the front deck while I laid the glass and applied the resin/epoxy.

Anyway, I'll post my progress on this little venture here.

No comments:

The author

The author
Growing older as you view this!

About Me

My photo
Belchertown, Massachusetts, United States
Experiences in life: marriage, kids, computers, flying, remodeling, learning