Friday, April 11, 2008

Working for a living

I've had a few jobs in my life, worked in a hospital, computer operator, various programming jobs, systems analysis, entrepreneur, CEO, CIO, business broker, various consulting gigs, systems architect to name a few. Now I am a DBA (officially a data warehouse lead) at a multinational.

You'd think after that stint as a CEO I would be onto other things but I did a reevaluation and came to the conclusion that I really liked getting my hands on systems, solving problems and learning new technology. Plus, I really don't travel that much on business anymore which really fits what I want to be doing really well.

So I am going to start interspersing a few musings of discovery of a more technical nature in with these blogs. Specifically I am going add some of those 'ah ha" moments that I have run across in my new job. There are a lot of people out there with a lot more specific knowledge on some of the tools I am using/learning but I often am left to my own devices to solve problems (even after extensive googling!).

So here's what I am working on right now and I'll start posting what my discoveries are as I can.

My current project involves migrating the ETL processes from a SAP BW 3 to DataStage to MS SQL 2005 data warehouse project from BW 3 all the way to BI 7. To give you an idea of scope of the data, we daily transfer about 4m rows in 20 - 40 DataStage extract jobs.

My current nightmare involves the pesky DataStage Server 7.5.1.A Open Hub Extractor interface so my next post will focus on a few insights. Stay tuned....

No comments:

The author

The author
Growing older as you view this!

About Me

My photo
Belchertown, Massachusetts, United States
Experiences in life: marriage, kids, computers, flying, remodeling, learning